Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Curious Minds Venture Into the Garden


Yesterday, I had the great pleasure of welcoming a bright, curious group of young people to Graze the Roof. Here is what one young girl had to say about her experience in the garden : 

"On Monday, August 5, 2013 my friends and I went to San Francisco to tour a rooftop garden. I learned more about growing food in the city. 

Graze The Roof is an urban permaculture design experiment. We saw tomatoes, borage, grapes, worm boxes, and more.

My favorite part was how they upcycled materials from local businesses.
They upcycled tin cans, burlap bags, milk crates, and pallets. They are used as containers  to plant fruit, veggies, and herbs.
                                                            
 Where does the food go??                      

Ten to fifteen pounds of salad goes to the Glide kitchen every week!
The Glide Church prepares 3,000 meals a day, 365 days a year for people in the community.

I am looking forward to visiting Graze The Roof again someday to help work in the gardens."

Montana Hamel
grade 4


No comments:

Post a Comment