Graze the Roof is an edible, community-produced vegetable garden on the rooftop of Glide Memorial Church, a progressive church and nonprofit located in the Tenderloin district of San Francisco.
Graze the Roof features lightweight (upcycled) raised garden beds made from milk crates; a worm composting system and an educational mural which ties the whole project together. Glide youth and volunteers from throughout the Bay Area maintain the garden and host monthly tours and workshops.
Join us for our community workdays, workshops and rooftop garden tours!
Additionally, we are looking for dedicated volunteers/interns/creationists to play a leading role in the development and continued success of Graze the Roof. There are a wide range of opportunities available - from hands on gardening and construction activities to community outreach, workshop facilitation, gardening education, fundraising and research and development.
If would like to be a dedicated volunteer, please contact Graze the Roof's project manager, Lindsey Goldberg at: email@example.com for more information and to RSVP for one or more workdays/workshops.
Our Garden Wish List
Garden Supplies and Equipment
- Chickens and chicken coop
- Bees and Beekeeping Equipment
- Rainwater Catchment System
- Outdoor sink/wash station
- Outdoor solar cooker
- Protective roof mats for underneath our garden beds
- Shade structure/sail for hot and rainy days
- A camera
- Sustainability and gardening books to expand our library
- Outdoor bulletin board in a weather proof case - 8'long x 4'tall
- Secure storage lockers for volunteers
- 12 indoor compost bins with lids
- White outdoor light strings to string around the outer edge of the garden
- Outdoor weather station
- Hummingbird Feeder
- Outdoor Wall Clock
- 9-10lb. Hanging Scale
- Five garden trowels
- Five small hand shovels
- Three watering cans
- Two pruning sheers
- Four hammers
- One Power Drill
- Colored Pencils
- 40 five gallon food grade containers
- A Cusinart food processor
- Mini choppers (those little choppers w enclosed blades)
- Kitchen towels
- Twelve cutting boards
- Twelve child sized aprons
- Twelve 8'' chefs knives